Our Sunday morning worship service takes one of several forms depending on the Sunday.
- On the first Sunday of the month and on festival Sundays (such as Easter and Reformation), we celebrate Holy Communion. All baptized Christians who normally commune in their home congregation and who believe in the presence of Christ in the elements of Communion are invited to take Communion with us. Anyone is welcome to come forward for a blessing.
- The second and third Sundays of each month use the Service of the Word. When there are five Sundays in a month, the fourth Sunday typically also uses this service.
- On the last Sunday, we use the Service of the Word with Healing. During the healing portion of the service, the congregation is invited to kneel or stand at the altar rail for individual prayer and the laying on of hands. When a festival falls on this Sunday, it takes precedence over the healing service.
The service is printed in a reusable booklet and includes all responses. Evangelical Lutheran Worship, our hymnal, is only used for hymns and the psalm (psalms are numbered as the first 150 hymns); hymn numbers can be found on the hymn boards near the front of the sanctuary or in the bulletin (handed out with the booklets).
On the fourth Sunday of every month, Fellowship Hour follows morning worship with refreshments.
Our services are full of music – we love to sing! Music is played on a pipe organ, and a choir sings an anthem during the service from September through May. Special music is also presented periodically by church groups or guest musicians.
A staffed nursery is available for young children (birth through preschool-age) during every regular morning worship service. The nursery is located on the middle floor at the north end of the building (across from the church office).
A children’s sermon is given during the service. Following the Gospel reading, children are invited to come forward to the front of the sanctuary for this message. On the fourth Sunday of the month, following the children’s sermon, children may return to their seats or go to Children’s Church escorted by helpers. Children’s Church is open from age four through sixth grade. (Children’s Church is not held during the summer.)
All volunteers working with children and staff have been screened and trained in accordance with ELC’s Child Protection Policy and Pennsylvania law.
From the last Sunday in June through the end of August, we worship at 9:30 AM. Services are abbreviated from the full services used during the rest of the year. Coffee Hour, a time of food and fellowship, is held following each service.
The last Sunday of each month is our Healing Service with Hymnsing, featuring
In 2019, our August 4th service will return to 10:45 AM for Old Home Week with lunch afterwards in the Memorial Fellowship Hall.
Saturday evening’s casual worship service is one of Holy Communion. Hymns come from a variety of sources and may be traditional or more contemporary. Music is played primarily on the piano.
When a Sunday festival occurs (such as Reformation or Pentecost), the weekend’s Saturday service will also celebrate that festival. On the night before Easter, a shortened form of the Easter Vigil service is used.
There is no need to dress up – come as you are.
Throughout the year, we celebrate festivals with services of Holy Communion. Festivals include Easter, Pentecost, Holy Trinity, Reformation, and more. We also set aside other important days through the year for worship, such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Easter Sunrise. To find upcoming festival and special services, view Events.
- Christmas Eve Family Service with Holy Communion, 5:00 PM
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service with Holy Communion, 10:45 PM
- Ash Wednesday with the imposition of ashes and Holy Communion, 7:00 PM
- Wednesdays in Lent, services of reflection, 6:45 PM
- Joint services with Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church in Marion; the location alternates each week between the two churches
- A light supper precedes each week’s service at 6:00 PM
- Holy Week, 7:00 PM in the Sanctuary
- Wednesday in Holy Week service of Confession and Forgiveness
- Maundy Thursday with Holy Communion
- Good Friday service of shadows
- Easter Sunrise with Holy Communion, 7:00 AM
- Outdoor Service & Picnic, 10:45 AM at the Greencastle-Antrim School District farm, third Sunday in June
- Old Home Week, 10:45 AM on Sunday, August 4th