Our Sunday morning worship service takes one of several forms depending on the Sunday.
- On the first Sunday of the month and on festival Sundays (such as Easter and Reformation), we celebrate Holy Communion. All baptized Christians who normally commune in their home congregation and who believe in the presence of Christ in the elements of Communion are invited to take Communion with us. Anyone is welcome to come forward for a blessing.
- The second and third Sundays of each month use the Service of the Word. When there are five Sundays in a month, the fourth Sunday typically also uses this service.
The service is diplayed on a screen and includes most responses; a bulletin resource called “Celebrate” includes the week’s lessons, psalm, and prayers; it is available as you enter the sanctuary. Our hymnal, Evangelical Lutheran Worship, is available for use if you like to sing with the music but is not necessary.
Our services are full of music – we love to sing! Music is played on a pipe organ and a piano. Special music is also presented periodically by church groups or guest musicians.
A staffed nursery is available for young children (birth through preschool-age) during every regular morning worship service from September through May and on the second and fourth Sundays during the summer. The nursery is located on the middle floor at the north end of the building (across from the church office).
A children’s sermon is given during the service. Following the Gospel reading, children are invited to come forward to the front of the sanctuary for this message.
All volunteers working with children and staff have been screened and trained in accordance with ELC’s Child Protection Policy and Pennsylvania law.
From the last Sunday in June through the end of August, we worship at 9:30 AM. Services are abbreviated from the full services used during the rest of the year. Coffee Hour, a time of food and fellowship, is held following each service.
The last Sunday of each month is our Healing Service with Hymnsing, featuring
Saturday evening’s casual worship service is one of Holy Communion. Hymns come from a variety of sources and may be traditional or more contemporary. Music is played using a mix of piano and organ.
When a Sunday festival occurs (such as Reformation or Pentecost), the weekend’s Saturday service will also celebrate that festival. On the night before Easter, a shortened form of the Easter Vigil service is used.
There is no need to dress up – come as you are.
Throughout the year, we celebrate festivals with services of Holy Communion. Festivals include Easter, Pentecost, Holy Trinity, Reformation, and more. We also set aside other important days through the year for worship, such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Easter Sunrise. To find upcoming festival and special services, view our events calendar.
- Christmas Eve Family Service with Holy Communion, 5:00 PM
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service with Holy Communion, 10:45 PM
- Ash Wednesday with the imposition of ashes and Holy Communion
- Wednesdays in Lent, services of reflection
- Holy Week in the Sanctuary
- Maundy Thursday with Holy Communion
- Good Friday service of shadows
- Easter Sunrise with Holy Communion
- Outdoor Service & Picnic, 10:45 AM at the Greencastle-Antrim School District farm in June