The Parish Nurse functions on the health ministry team to provide holistic health care (mind, body, and spirit) for individuals, families, groups, and the congregation as a whole. This ministry has emerged from the understanding that Christ’s mission of healing belongs to the health care community, the church community, and neighborhood.
In accordance with professional practice and the Pennsylvania Board of Nursing the Parish Nurse is not responsible for hands-on nursing services. The nurse will not administer medication, give injection, draw blood, perform dressing changes, or administer tube feedings.
Roles of the Parish Nurse
Health Educator: provides opportunities for parish members to learn about health options.
- Coordinates blood pressure screening and other health screenings
- Provides current health information to congregation including health fairs, community health programs, and blood drives.
- Contributes health tips to the monthly newsletter.
- Provides educational presentations on various topics.
Health Counselor: responds to the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of the individual.
- Will be available to congregation members at the church, by phone and/or email.
- Will visit members at their homes, hospital, or health facilities at the request of pastor and/or from members
Referral Assistant: connects members with the appropriate service which exist in the congregation or community.
- Connects the Stephen Ministry Leadership Team where there is a need .
- Coordinates referrals to appropriate community agencies.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
Expectations for the Parish Nurse
- All information regarding congregation should be kept confidential and respectful.
- Participate with other parish nurses and health ministry committee.
- Maintain health records.
- Maintain a quarterly report for Pastor and Council.
- Maintain annual report for congregation.
- Meet with Pastor as needed and quarterly with Health Ministry committee
Expectations of the Congregation
- Accept and support the Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program.
- Keep Parish Nurse informed of the needs of the congregation.
- Monthly blood pressure screening
- Hospital and home visitation
- Coordinate transportation, food and housekeeping needs
- Literature display in Luther Room
- Assist with loaning of medical equipment
- Help to coordinate community service needs
- Assist with medication management